Saturday, May 27, 2017

Cattle from yard to NE pasture

24 hours later the cattle ate most of the yard grass.  I could have kept them in the yard to 'clean up' the odds and ends of taller grass, but between some of them complaining to me and the chance they may get out of the yard if they pushed against a fence to reach taller grass on the other side, I decided to let the cattle into the NE pasture.

I should have had my camera to record a video of them as the entire herd came running and mooing after I opened the gate and the first couple of cows walked through it.

So, this year no jailbreaks from the yard and no broken stuff.  Several cows did knock part of the log pile down in the backyard.  No one got hurt.  When I went to check on the noise two cows came from back of the tool shed and looked at me like it was my fault the logs fell.



This morning I was woken up at 7 am as cow number 7 (of course!) was reaching under a corral panel to get a few pieces of taller grass growing among the shrubs against the house.  One end of the corral panel banged against the concrete as she went in and out and along the panel.


After I let the cows and calves into the NE pasture I moved some corral panels and old gates to be around the log pile in the NE pasture.  No sense having the cows knock that pile down.



I also had to protect a couple of small evergreen trees I planted last year, and to redo the fencing protecting the three clusters of caragana bushes there.

Once the cattle were in the NE pasture Buddy started mooing for them more.  He can't always see them from where he is in the south corral.

Daisy is happy the cattle are out of the yard.   The days the cattle were in the yard she would meow in disgust when she went outside and saw the cattle outside the door.   The calves are fascinated by Daisy and run after her when they can.

This morning as I filled the water trough and brushed Buddy, Daisy laid right under Buddy's head as he hung it down as he enjoyed the brushing.  She then moved over to the corral fence laying on the corral side.  Half a dozen calves came over and tried to sniff Daisy and occasionally she would hiss at them and swat at them which caused all the calves to jump back each time.

No comments: