Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Donna's logs

Donna gave in to the electric company and allowed them to cut down the trees under/near their power lines.  The rub was how to get rid of the wood.  The cut tree trunks were too short to be of use to Curtis and his sawmill and too long to use as firewood without cutting them shorter.

It took 11 tanks of gas in my chainsaw and two afternoons to cut all the logs to firewood lengths.

The logs filled my pickup four times weighing it down.  I took two afternoons to haul the logs home.



As you can see I stacked the logs on pallets.  I tried to use as few pallets as possible so I made the beginning stacks high.  Then several stacks tumbled down.  So I used more pallets and made my stacks shorter.

From this view one would think all the logs were this diameter size.  Very large diameter logs are at the bottom in the middle hidden from view.  Some logs were so thick I had to cut from both sides with my 18" chainsaw.


I would have preferred to stack the logs out in the middle pasture where I have the other stacks of logs to be split, but I can't get out there right now as the temporary corral panels holding the cattle block my path.

The logs are very green and wet so it will take a year or two to dry.

No comments: