Saturday, August 13, 2016

Second cutting hay

While I had planned on waiting until Sunday to cut my hayfield I decided to start today.  One, because I was ready; two, because the alfalfa is in bloom; three because number 7 cow insists on reaching through the fence to eat from the hayfield and I am concerned the fence will break; and lastly because rain is in the forecast for Friday and I want to be done before then.

The second cutting is mostly alfalfa as the grass has only grown a little bit since the first cutting.  While I thought I was be able to drive faster due to less to cut (and because Wyatt put a new belt on the haybine and it shouldn't slip anymore), I found the alfalfa is a bit wiry and if I go too fast sometimes a bunch of the alfalfa is not entirely cut.  So I am driving a bit slower.

I started around 3:30 pm and by the time I quit at 9 pm I had cut three fourths of the field.  I will finish tomorrow once the dew dries.  At 9 pm Donna brought over a plate of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans so I had food to eat when I got off the tractor.




Goatsbeard seeds on top of the haybine.

Here is a 31 second video of the haybine in action: https://youtu.be/532ZW2qyfak

No comments: