Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Auction goodies

Monday was another online local auction.  This auction also had a number of tractor/farm related stuff.  Just up my alley.

Monday morning Donna and I drove to the auction place to check the stuff over.  I was interested in:
  • hay rake
  • pallet forks
  • tractor back blade
  • irrigation fittings
  • several selection of twine
  • valves
  • Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck framed poster

Donna hadn't been interested in any items but then got interested in one selection of twine, colorful plastic chairs and a limited edition print of a painting.

After viewing the items I was still interested in:
  • hay rake
  • pallet forks
  • irrigation fittings
  • several selection of twine
  • Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck framed poster
By the time the auction started the irrigation fittings were already much more than I was willing to pay.  One selection of biodegradable twine I let go when the price got high.  I did buy another selection of 5 rolls of twine.  I probably should have let this selection go too at I paid almost new price.  I got caught up in bidding which is uncharacteristic for me.

The auction place was near the John Deere dealership and after viewing the items I went over and talked with John, whom I had bought my tractor from.  I wanted to know more about the John Deere hay rake and pallet forks.  I was trying to get an idea of what they cost.

The pallet forks cost $1100 new.  I bought them at the auction for a little over $700.    I bought the forks for the times when I have to move irrigation pipes.  Today I realized another use for them: moving my corral panels.

On the internet I had seen this model of hay rake listed for sale at $2500 to $2950,  John said the rake was worth at most $2750.   I bought the rake at the auction for a little over $1500.

I bought the framed poster for a little under $20.

Donna bought the chairs and limited edition print.


This morning we went and got our goodies.  The pallet forks were much heavier than I expected and the auction helper used his fork lift to lift my forks into my pickup.   I hooked up the rake to my pickup hitch.  The hay fork is wheel driven and Donna knew of the button to push to remove a connection to the wheel.  No sense having the forks spinning while I pulled them home.  We had trouble getting the button to move and after some effort got it to work and the connection removed.  After we got home we discovered there was a lever that disengaged the forks.   No wonder the previous owner never removed the connection.


Enough twine to last me years.





The connection apart.

Once I got my rake Dona came down and got her rake.  Better get it quick before either I or the cattle break it again.  


No comments: