Thursday, August 11, 2016

Irrigation is done

Tuesday I finished irrigating the hay field.  I had gone over the field twice.  I also irrigated over half of the pastures.  Wednesday morning we got .80 inch of rain, a record for the day.  So everything has been soaked good and I don't need to irrigate the part of the pasture I had yet to irrigate.

It is nice not having to move 30+ sprinkler pipes every day.   Today I brought in all the sprinkler pipes except for a few of them from the pasture.  Tomorrow I will bring them in, then dissemble and bring in the mainline that is in the hay field.  The mainline along the pasture fence will remain in place which is nice as the mainline is mostly steel pipes and the less I have to move the better.

Wyatt is attending a music festival this weekend - he is leaving Friday - so tonight I borrowed his haybine and plan to cut the hay field this weekend once the ground dries out more.  The alfalfa has grown nicely, is in bloom and is ready to cut.

In the photo below you can see in the NE pasture the area my sprinklers didn't reach.  If I hadn't irrigated the entire NE pasture would have been brown and dead like this.


No comments: