Thursday, August 25, 2016

Second cutting hay bale weight

Earlier I had posted about weighing a large hay bale from my first cutting.  That bale weighed 1180 lbs. 

Differences between the first cutting bale and the second cutting bale:
  • first cutting hay dried longer before baling,
  • it was over six weeks from cutting to weighing the bale, allowing for further drying,
  • the first cutting was alfalfa and grass and the second cutting was mainly alfalfa,
  • the pickup between weighing empty and with a bale had a change of a quarter tank of gas.

So today I took one of my second cutting bales to CHS to be weighed.  Harvest season is in progress so I had to wait in line among the grain trucks.  One guy let me in front of his truck as I was only weighing a bale and he was unloading grain.

After I weighed and then unloaded the bale I immediately went back to weigh the empty pickup.

My bale weighed more than I thought.  It weighs 1460 lbs.  This is 280 pounds more than my first cutting bale.

Wow.  I like the heavier weight.

No comments: