Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Raking and baling

Today I finished raking the windrows.  Merging windrows I ended up with less than a third of the original windows.  I spent four and a half hours today raking.

I put the rake away and hooked up the baler.  After eating a late lunch I started baling.   Three hours later I was done baling the hay in the hayfield.  Everything went smooth.  I finished before dark.

I had estimated that I will need seven more large bales to feed the cattle this Winter. I got 34 bales from the first cutting.  This second cutting... I got six and a half bales.  Less than a fifth of the first cutting.  The alfalfa grew nicely for the second cutting, the grass didn't.  That was the difference.

Tomorrow I will bale the neighbor's quack grass and that will put me over the amount of hay I estimate I will need this Winter.

The raked windrows

Drier part of the hayfield where the raked windrows are farther apart.

A raked windrow

The hay is dry. This time I baled it before it got bleached brown by the sun.




No comments: