Monday, August 29, 2016

Buddy breakout

A little after 8 am this morning I heard the shrub outside my bedroom window rustle loudly.


I got up to see once of the black cattle rubbing against it.  I immediately went outside and ran to close the driveway gate.  After that I then saw the only cattle in the yard was Buddy.  The rest of the cattle were off in the pasture eating and oblivious to Buddy.  That didn't last long as the herd noticed my interaction with Buddy and came running over to the fence.

I noticed the broken fence was near the road so to keep the cattle from coming up and noticing the broken fence I tossed them a bag of apples into the hayfield for them from the back yard.

Buddy came walking around the house to see what I was up to in the back yard.  I attempted to keep him moving but he then saw the many bags of apples in the patio.

Uh, oh.

Buddy insisting on walking over to the bags.  He grabbed one plastic bag full of apples with his mouth, lifted it, took a step back away from the patio and then shook his head all around.  Apples flew all over the place.  Once there were only a half dozen apples left in the bag he dropped it and began to eat the apples on the ground.

I used more apples as a bread crumb trail and Buddy walked along eating them and then followed me and another bag of apples into corral.




The rest of the cattle had eaten their apples by now and were mooing up a storm.  Once they settled down and Buddy ate the apples and checked out the corral, I got him to come through the gate to rejoin the herd in the hayfield.  Of course when I opened the gate for Buddy to walk through the herd got up from their siesta and came over to stand outside the gate.



Here is a 15 second video of Buddy in the back yard.  Of course when I started recording the video most of the cattle shut up.  Only one moos.

https://youtu.be/6c4W_wxHyHE


Once Buddy was back with the cattle I went about repairing the fence.

First I noticed they had pulled the field fence off the caragana bushes I had loosely wrapped with the fence to protect.



The following board wasn't broken - just badly warped.  Since I was fixing the fence I replaced this board before one of the cattle could break it.   Notice - the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.



Buddy has knocked the middle board off also.  I took this photo after I nailed the middle board back onto the fence.



I put the warped board in the space between the new middle and bottom boards because I felt the gap would be too inviting for some cow to try to put her head through to reach the grass in the yard - and then the fence would break again.

Why did Buddy break the fence at this location?  Perhaps he was trying to reach the small walnut tree on the left side and then the boards came off the fence.

I am happy Buddy decided to come check out the house and back yard and did not go through the nearby driveway gate and out into the road.  Tonight I closed the driveway gate in case Buddy decides to test the fence again in the morning.

No comments: