Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Baling and cloud

I finished baling the hay today.  I waited until after 4 pm to bale the neighbor's quack grass.  Earlier I had found a few areas were still green (wet).  This was under large (heavy) windrows.  I flipped them over and in the hot sun they mostly dried.  Still, I baled this area last so it could be on the outer part of one bale in case it molded before drying.

I got five and a half bales from this small area.  My large hay field had produced six and a half bales.   I now have more hay than I predict I need, which is good.  Hopefully my spoiled cattle will eat this quack grass without complaining too much.


Baling went smooth.  The only 'hitch' was the rope I use to cut the baling twine while sitting in the tractor somehow got sucked into the baler.   I have one end tied to the cutter and the other end tied to my tractor seat,  The middle part of the rope somehow got into the baler's pickup and the rope broke.  I barely had enough rope left to tie together and still reach to the tractor cab.  When I was done baling I spent some time cutting and pulling the rope section out of the baler's pickup as when cleaning the baler I found the rope hadn't gotten tossed/sucked up into the bale.

It was dark by the time I moved the bales from the hayfield to my row of bales.  I'll get the quack grass bales tomorrow.


A chance of rain was forecast for this evening.   It appears this cloud was the closest we got to rain.  As it got dark lightning bolts flashed from the cloud as it moved east and over Glacier Park.


No comments: