Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Stump 6 bonfire

Monday night I burnt the last tree stump for now and possibly the year.  Stump 6.

This stump was difficult to dig around due to all the side roots going down and sideways and here and there.  It was was hard to get the shovel between many of the roots to get to the dirt under the 'crown' of the stump as the stump didn't have a main taproot going straight down.  I believe I only dug down two and a half to three feet around the stump.  This was more than enough to burn the stump and eliminate the possibility that the remainder of the stump would work its way up out of the ground during my lifetime.

I chopped off a number of side roots to enable me to dig around the stump better.  A few of the roots still had a little liquidy sap in them.

I started the bonfire around 10 pm after sundown and finished around 2 am.




Here is an example of how the roots made it difficult to dig around the stump.  See how the roots grew together to form the letter "A"?


Daisy joined me a number of times when I dug around the stump.

Start of the bonfire.






Hours after the fire started the "A" still stands.


Near the end of the bonfire.

The next day.  This is after almost a third of inch of rain.  One spot is still smoldering.

Here is a 2 minute 15 second video of various times of the bonfire: https://youtu.be/GLbrCpVjbH8

-

No comments: