Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Cattle complaining, etc.

After being let into the front yard to eat green grass the past four afternoons the cattle expected the same treatment today.  Instead I made them finish their bale of hay and they were not happy about it.  A number of them mooed or bellowed loudly whenever they saw me outside.  They also hung around the gate much of the day.

Finally this evening the cattle finished eating most of the hay.  I then herded them into the corral so that I could move six corral panels from the pasture to over and around the remaining 10 large hay bales in the NE pasture.  I also moved some corral panels and placed them along the barb wire fence between the NE and north pastures.  That is my worst fence and I don't trust the cattle not to break it.

All the while the cattle were bellowing at me and getting on my last nerve.  Once I finished moving the panels I let the cattle into the NE pasture.  They acted like they hadn't eaten in a week.  But at least they shut up.


A pocket gopher has moved into the south pasture.  Apparently it is testing out areas of where to move as so far it has avoid the trap.  The latest area of fresh dirt is around the roots of a large tree.  That makes it hard to find enough of a tunnel to place a trap.


I am also trying to finish digging around the sixth tree stump.  This is the worst one yet.  The stump has lots and lots of small and medium roots and they go up down and everywhere.  It makes it very difficult to dig around them.  To make matters worse I broke the shovel's fiberglass handle on a small hidden root.  I wasn't pressing hard on the handle - or so I thought.  I also thought fiberglass handles didn't break.  I think they have a lifetime replacement warranty... but who saves a receipt for a shovel?  I'll have to buy a new shovel tomorrow - and this time save the receipt.  At least this shovel handle lasted longer than the prior wood handles I had.

No comments: