Thursday, June 30, 2016

Colonoscopy

Today I had my first colonoscopy exam.  I scheduled the exam a few months ago.  Sure... it ended up being after I finished cutting hay and before I start baling hay.  Like I'm not busy right now.

The prep was not much fun but the procedure was fine.  I think I was supposed to be completely knocked out but I wasn't completely out.  I remember hearing the doctor and nurse talking and somewhat felt the exam.  But it seemed like I was in a dreamlike state.  I remember the talking, but like waking up from a dream, the further from the dream the less likely I am to remember the dream's details - in this case what the conversation was about.

Before the exam I met the doctor for the first time.  He mainly wanted to tell me of three risks of the exam and to stress how low their chances are.  One risk is a tear in the intestine.  When I mentioned that shouldn't be a problem since that could be fixed, he said it would require surgury.  The implication - unsaid by him - was that it would be in a hospital and maybe not by him.  He then emphasized the chances of a tear are something like 1 in 5,000 procedures.

"What the heck... let's start the exam."

The exam was good other than finding one polyp. The office will test it and let me know the results in a week.

The polyp looks different depending on the view.



No comments: