Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Hayfield cut

Tuesday evening I finished cutting my hayfield.  I started at 12:45 pm and finished at 10:15 pm with just a break of 45 minutes to eat dinner Donna had brought over.

Cutting of hay went much better than on Monday.  I had no hay jams.  When Donna came over at 4 pm with food she was concerned I wouldn't finish my field on Tuesday and said I had to pick up the pace.  She needed the swather Wednesday afternoon as Wyatt was going use it to cut Donna's field.

I also had a concern as early on a wild female turkey was in the field; and each time I came around the turkey would head further into the grass.  I was afraid I would unknowingly run over her or her  nest.  Later when I switched from cutting on the sides to cutting a path in the middle the turkey headed out into the previous cut area with her six young chicks.  Good.


Here is a photo of the long tool I used to turn the sickle bar when it got stuck.


Hayfield before I cut it.



Instead of continuing to go around the edges with the hassle of turning the corners, after a while I began to go back and forth in the middle and expanding out the area cut.




Here is a 17 second video of the swather when I had the tractor's cab window open: https://youtu.be/Sh2JsmxsCCo

Here is a 21 second video of the swather when I had a tractor's cab window closed.  Notice it is much quieter: https://youtu.be/mWvpCRh2VUY

No comments: