Saturday, June 11, 2016

Cattle, fence, turkey, gopher

The cattle are still in the north pasture.  I would have rotated them to the middle pasture today but I haven't because:
  1. there is still plenty of tall grass in the north pasture,
  2. I haven't filled in the deep hole for the third tree stump I burned,
  3. I have finally(!) finished digging around tree stump 6 and have not burned the stump yet so there is a hole there.
I thought about moving the cattle to the south pasture.  Today I checked the south pasture's fences and nailed the loose barb wires and added metal clips to wires on a few t-posts.   But I haven't moved the cattle because:
  1. I need to build a simple fence over a section of irrigation pipe coming from the shed as I am afraid the cattle will trip over it and move it,
  2. I need to build a simple fence around the new meter base so the cattle don't rub on it.

Also when checking on the south pasture fence I came across this:




The turkey didn't move when I got close.  I don't know if it is sitting on a nest, or if it is young and stays put until its parent returns.  I walked around it and left it be.


I trapped a pocket gopher in the hayfield south of the barn.  Why it traveled to the middle of the ranch to make its home I don't know.  But it didn't work out for it.  I have another trap along the south pasture fence.


No comments: