Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Happy Buddy

Today I used my tractor to fill in the hole from the last tree stump I had burned on Monday.  That done I could now let the cattle into the middle pasture without having to worry a cow or calf would accidentally fall into the big hole.

First I let Buddy out of the corral so he could rejoin the cows.  Today, June 15, means the first calf next year could be born as early as March 24.  Last year I let Buddy to the cows on June 20 and my first calf was born this year on March 29.  Buddy was happy to be reunited with the cows as every day he would moan mournfully for the cows to be near him in the corral.

Waiting in the corral.

After I opened the gate I climbed up the corral fence in case Buddy got over excited.  Daisy - the black and white - is laying under the fence in front of Buddy with her tail on this side of the fence.


Once Buddy was reunited with the cows he quickly went around to each cow to check if she needed his services.


Enjoying the tall grass in the (new) middle pasture.


In the middle of the photo you can see Buddy make his "face" after checking another cow if she needed his "help".


Beulah was in standing heat today.

Once Buddy checked out all the cows he kept company with Beulah.

Beulah may have the first calf next year.  If not the first (if she is past the most fertile part of her cycle), then perhaps the last calf.

No comments: