Monday, June 06, 2016

Mischief before going to another pasture

Early this morning I heard Buddy the bull mooing. I also heard some cows mooing.  Then it was quiet.  For some reason I was awake early and so I got up much earlier than normal.  When I went outside the calves and three cows were in the corral.  The other cows...  I found them eating from the large hay bales in the NE pasture.

Wait a minute... didn't you earlier write that you had put corral panels around the bales to keep the cattle away from them?

Why... yes I did. I also pounded a metal t-posts in the ground next to each panel.  And tied the panels to the posts using baling twine.

Well... these cattle untied the twine from three panels and posts.  The end panels.   They then pulled one end of a panel on each end (east and west of the bales) out so they could get inside the panels to the bales.  In the process they also pulled two t-posts out of the ground.   They hadn't been there too long before I found them and chased them out.   I reset the panel barrier and tied the end panels down even more.

Who said cattle were dumb?


The cattle have eaten down the NE pasture and fruit tree and garden area over the past five days.  This evening I let them out to the north pasture to begin the pasture rotations.   Over the past two Winters I placed the metal feeders out there for eating from large hay bales.  As a consequences from the uneaten hay and the manure a number of areas have very tall and thick grass.  The calves all disappeared into the grass and the smaller cows only had their back visible.

This should keep them happy for a few days.

No comments: