Saturday, September 05, 2015

Garage roof fix

It has rained much of the day.  I have slept much of the day.  So, now, maybe I can stay awake long enough to post an entry on my blog.  (I've been very busy lately.)

A definite rain was forecast.  I needed to get two things done:
  1. put undercover the leftover hay from when the cattle were in the corral prior to being sent to the livestock auction,  
  2. Fix the holes in the garage roof.

First, the hay.  Below is a photo of the hay at the beginning; I don't have a current photo of the hay.  But the remaining - about a quarter - of this hay needed to be put somewhere under cover to keep it dry.  I filled both of my wooden feeders next to the barn full up to their roofs then put the rest of the hay under the barn's side roofed area.



Then the garage roof.  I last worked on the garage in mid-August: http://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2015/08/willow-tree-fall-part-2.html

Before I was interrupted by the arrival of my pump I had been jacking up the roof to fix the one broken stud.   A few days ago I finished bracing and supporting the broken stud.



In the following photo the dark green shingle covers one of the holes created by the falling tree.   One other hole was created by the other branch.  But as that branch landed on the stud it damaged boards on each side of the stud creating another hole as seen below.

Before I added new boards to close up the opening.

Since I plan to re-shingle the garage roof next year I didn't use (waste) new matching shingles to cover the hole.  I used some new shingles left over from when I re-shingled the irrigation shed this past Spring.



I finished the repair the day before the first of the rain arrived.


Today I found this little bird in the garage between the sheet and the window.  It was fluttering trying to fly its way out.  I pulled back the sheet and encouraged it to fly out of the garage door.


No comments: