Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Cars and crashes

Flathead drivers are notoriously bad drivers.  It's not just anecdotal stories, insurance rates are higher here because of all the bad drivers and all their accidents. Out of state friends and families who visit me often are either frightened or complain about local drivers' behaviors.  Montana's non-specialty license plates indicate the county (7 for Flathead County) on the plates so it is easy to see who is a local driver.

I had errands to run uptown today.  First off, in a 45 mph zone, I witnessed a woman make a sudden right turn from the left lane of a four lane road in order to turn into a business driveway.  She turned in front of and into another SUV in the right lane.  The SUVs crashed together.  There was nothing the woman in the right lane could do.  I don't think the left lane woman signaled her turn.  The women appeared to be ok, the vehicles damaged.

Then I had a car with Washington State plates change lanes right in front of me in a 45 mph area.  He was doing 30-35 mph while I was doing 45 mph.  I was able to slow down to avoid hitting him.

I was able to safely drive home all the way across Kalispell with my new tractor window/door which finally arrived today (it was supposed to be delivered last Wednesday).  The John Deere parts person had even given up and ordered the window/door again yesterday (which should show up in a few days).  Apparently the trucking company delivers from Portland, Oregon to Kalispell via Denver, Colorado and Missoula, Montana.

Later, while driving to get more dirt, a short distance up ahead a 20-something female Flathead driver did a u-turn across 4 lanes of traffic on Hwy 2.  The speed limit was 70 mph and plenty of traffic on the road.  No accident occurred.

Going into Columbia Falls in a 45 mph zone I passed a barely 20-something woman going 5-10 mph less.  She had both hands on the steering wheel.  She also was holding a cell phone and texting.

So... considering the Flathead drivers were crazier than normal, was it wise to go for my nightly 12 mile bicycle ride?  I hadn't ridden Monday night so I was itching to go for a ride.  Wrong move.

The moon is over half full and bright so I only turn on my bicycle light when cars approach.  I was returning home and only four tenths of a mile from the ranch when around the curve came a pickup going fast. The road's speed limit is 35 mph and drivers often go faster.  Before I could turn my bicycle light on the pickup suddenly turned towards the wide potato warehouse driveway.  She didn't signal.  I was in the way.

She had seen me after she started to turn and tried to stop. I veered to avoid the crash as best I could and was hit on my left side. I went under the front of the pickup and she skidded to a stop before the pickup tire could roll over me. 

The driver was a young 20-something woman with an even younger female passenger.  They were both freaking out.  I had to calm them down.  I would have hugged the driver to calm her down but I was hopping on one foot as one of my shoes was still under the pickup.  So was my bicycle.  My hat was off in the distance back of and to the side of the pickup.  The passenger got my hat for me and pulled my bicycle from under the pickup.  I retrieved my shoe.

The driver wanted to do something to make up for hitting me.  She offered to make me supper.  I declined the offer.

Nothing on me is broken.  Nothing on my bicycle appears to be broken.  I'll see better tomorrow when it is light.  My bicycle still works although it feels like my handlebar is bent on one side.

I am bruised and have amazingly little road rash considering I was pushed along a gravel road after I went down.  Even more so amazing as I was wearing cutoff shorts and had bare legs.

A cooler night, I was wearing my red ragged homeless coat over my flannel shirt, so that protected my arms.

I am bruised on my left thigh from the impact of the pickup; have a little road rash on my left arm, even through the coat; and have a cut on my right leg (from?).  Explain all that!

As I mentioned my coat is red (and ragged) and the passenger initially thought I was covered in blood.  Nope.

I was able to ride my bicycle home.  I showered the dirt off my legs.  I am pretty sore and figure I will be even more stiff and sore tomorrow.


No comments: