Saturday, September 12, 2015

Tractor door

Two weeks.  I have had this tractor for two weeks as of today and I already broke it.   *argh!!!*


This evening I broke the left hand door on the tractor's cab.  I was moving hay bales so I can put wooden pallets underneath them so the water that runs off the loafing shed won't get them wet and create moldy hay.  To get the first few bales right I was in and out of the tractor cab numerous times.  I had 6 to 12 inches to move the bale and because I would be getting out of the cab to check again, and because I had such a short distance to move, I left the cab's door partway open instead of closing it like the other times.

I drove forward and apparently the door swung open farther, caught on a hay bale near the tractor, and shattered.  Into a million pieces.

The cab's door is glass surrounded by a rubber weatherstrip.  No metal frame.

I'm upset. For a number of reasons.  For breaking something on the tractor so soon after getting it.  For not closing the door.  For not seeing the door swing open.  And for yet another thing to fix.

This year has been nothing but fixing broken things.
  1. The house well
  2. The garage roof
  3. my car
  4. The loading corral gate and board after Dan's cow broke them
  5. The corral board the calves broke
  6. The gate the bull bent
  7. the corral's railroad tie that leaned
  8. the post I bumped with the tractor (yet to fix)
  9. the tool shed roof that leaks (yet to fix)
  10. The fence I cut to let the semi in with hay (yet to fix)
  11. The irrigation pipes' gaskets (still working on)
and now the tractor door.

Add in the time I spent to get a new pump and the time I am spending getting the irrigation pipes and gaskets into working order.  No wonder hardly any improvements gets done.

I've had it up to here with stuff breaking.  I would like to upgrade more of my fences, especially as Buddy the bull is going where he pleases over the three strand wire fences between the three pastures.

So I am in a bad mood tonight.  Good thing I live alone.  If I drank, I would be drinking tonight.  Heavily.

I found a couple of places online that sell replacement doors. $300 plus shipping.  Apparently I'm not the only idiot who has broken his tractor's door.  In one site's comment section a wife complained this was the second door she ordered for her husband and wished he would learn to keep the door shut.

I got most of the glass up off the ground and out of the tractor.  Tomorrow I will get the pieces I missed as it was getting dark.

ARGH!


No comments: