Saturday, September 19, 2015

Weaning calves day 3

The calves have settled down.  They are hoarse, but don't cry/bellow much.  The mothers will sit outside the corral when they are chewing their cud; otherwise they spend their time in the neighbor's pasture eating grass.

Friday I spent $120 on a 250 pound tub of Vitalix #4 Natural 22 as a supplement to the hay.  (http://www.vitalix.com/assets/products/2014%20Products/-4-natural22.pdf)
  • Characteristics: 22% all natural protein with Vitalix Proprietary Enzyme Package; #4 Natural is available with added Diatomaceous Earth (#4 DE) or with added Magnesium (#4 Mag) as special order products sold in 3 ton increments.
  • Use: Extra energy boost when being fed poor quality roughage or during drought where forage supply is inadequate.
  • Feeding Recommendations: 1/2 to 1 1/2 lb per 1000 lb animal per day. Guide: One 250 lb tub for every 20-30 head of cattle.
They lick it occasionally.



I also removed the old broken bale feeder.  Having the tractor is nice.  The newer bale feeder is in the background.  Due to the broken piece that reached the ground I ended up driving in reverse so I wouldn't chance driving on the piece that touched the ground.



Using the tractor Friday evening I carried a bale of hay into the corral. The tractor is so much nicer and quicker than pulling a bale on a wooden pallet.

I used one of the bales I had bought from east of the mountains.  That is my best hay.  I want the best hay to help the calves recover quickly from weaning and to grow well in the 30 days I will have them until I sell them.

As I cut net wrap from the bale the calves realized better hay was available and the rushed in to eat from the bale.  I was able to lower the bale to the ground with no problems.  But when it came to tipping the heavy metal feeder over the bale I had to be careful.  I rolled the feeder next to the bale. I went around the bale and chased the calves away.  Then I tipped the feeder over the bale.  As the feeder came down two calves went up to the bale to eat more hay.  I ran around the bale and chased them away just before the feeder came crashing down on them.

The calves love their new hay.  The mothers stood outside the corral and watched as I prepared the bale. They bellowed their jealousy.


No comments: