Saturday, August 17, 2013

Well casing removal

Back in the middle of July, since Wyatt was available with his tractor, I had the second concrete casing removed from my corral well.

I had lots of time before Wyatt arrived so I wrapped the casing really good with chains.




The view after the casing was removed.  As you can see, the big rain event when Tammy and I were in Las Vegas in May, washed down dirt into the water I had dug, covering the water.



Now to come up with a permanent solution.  I had a discussion with Kyle, my pump person.  His dad, Tony, was also there and he ran the business for many years before he retired.  Tony is very experienced with sandpoint wells - much more so than his son.  He strongly encouraged me to go the sandpoint route, and after talking with a couple neighbors who have sandpoint type of wells, I am going in that direction.

I had a 11 ft long 2 inch thick pipe with three foot of a sandpoint pipe at the bottom.  I have concerns about the pipe being thick enough to hold enough water to also do a little irrigating of the back lawn without the pump running dry.  I got conflicting views as to whether the 2 inch diameter of pipe is enough so I plan to go a little larger.

To be determined:
  • the pipe diameter
  • the pipe length
  • how to get the pipe into the ground
  • the size of the pump
I also have to determine what type of casing I will put in the ground.  I checked on concrete casings and the sizes made now doesn't match the size I have.  An alternative may be a large metal culvert if I can find one.

No comments: