Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sudden storm

Sunday evening a thunderstorm suddenly blew in from the south.  Lots of wind, a good amount of lightning and hardly any rain.

The wind was so strong that the dirt blew in the corral where the livestock ate and trampled the grass to death.  I was emptying a water trough in the corral when the storm blew in and the dirt and dust was overwhelming.  I got the garden hose out and wet the dirt down.

Later in the house a loud clap of thunder struck seconds after a bright flash of lightning.  Both Tammy and Daisy about jumped out of their skins.  Daisy hid under a coffee table.  Needless to say Daisy didn't go out that night.

Monday morning I picked up the small tree branches around the yard.  I put the larger willow branches in a bucket of water to see if they will start roots.  Some of the willow branches I have stuck in the ground in the past near the river have taken root and started to grow as trees.


The following photos shows where I had to add some extra wire to the field fence to protect the willow tree from the horses. Otherwise the horses put their head over the top of the field fence and would eat the willow tree.



I also had to put some wire around the bottom of the small willow trees by the river.  Some of the willow trees would disappear and I thought they didn't make the transition from branch to tree.  Then last month I discovered the largest willow tree had been reduced to branches floating in the river.  An animal had eaten through all the branches at the bottom. I don't know if the animal was a beaver or a river otter.  I have not seen signs of other trees or brush being eaten.

So few of the branches transition from branches to trees that I placed wire around a half dozen that have started to grow as trees by the river.


So far I haven't walked the pastures to see if any trees blew over. Looking from the house I don't see any more trees down. Bob and Jan lost another Lombardi poplar to the storm.

No comments: