Thursday, August 22, 2013

Another crazy heifer

I had another heifer start to go 'crazy in heat'.  Wednesday evening I heard some mooing from the herd.  When I finished digging around a small tree trunk in the middle pasture I walked back through the hayfield.  One of Dan's heifers - Number 4 - was mooing and standing at the gate to the middle pasture.  She walked along the fence and looked toward the river.

She saw me and came and mooed at me.  Then she walked the fence to the new gate in the NW corner of the hayfield.  She mooed and looked through the gate off into the distance to the potato farm with its livestock.

The rest of the herd was grazing in the south half of the pasture.

Uh-oh.  I just went through this with Baby a few weeks ago.

So I opened the gate to the corral and Number 4 came in looking for a "boy" to satisfy her.  I got her into the loading corral and supplied her with hay and water.  A bunch of work but better than chasing her around the fields.

She spent 24 hours in the loading corral.  She mooed a lot.  I woke up to mooing from her and from part of the herd in the hayfield near the fence who were mooing in sympathy.

Number 4 didn't go off the deep end as bad as Baby had, so after 24 hours I let her out to rejoin the herd.  She was happy to rejoin the herd.  She forgot all about needing a "boy" to satisfy her.

That is two 'crazy in heat' heifers in one year.  What's up with that?

No comments: