Friday, August 09, 2013

2013 Bonfire 2

Back on July 6 Tammy and I had another bonfire.  We burned a stump I had found last year in the south pasture.  Another one of those stumps that started to stick up an inch or so above ground.  This stump was in the very SW corner of the property - not counting the lower area down by the river.

The stump looked to be a tamarack / western larch stump which would explain why it had not decayed much over the years.  That also meant it would be harder to burn.


As you can see from its "hair" the stump had weathered being in the ground all these years quite well.  This is another one of those stumps I have no memory of it being a tree.

Initially I had dug around the stump last Fall.  But as you can see from the fresh dirt the cattle has pushed some of the dirt back in the hole this Spring which I had to re-dig out.


The temperature stayed warm and jackets and sweatshirts weren't needed. Also, Tammy didn't fall asleep this time.  While this part of the pasture usually has lots of mosquitoes, they weren't out much that evening.

We started after 10 pm and were back home after 2 am.


I decided to try something different.  Rather than include two dozen photos of the fire and aftermath in this post,  I uploaded the photos to a photo album.  Let me know if you have a problem viewing the photos.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109566462412251958234/albums/5910365786842153313?authkey=CIPXiOTp_p6nRw

Here are a couple sample photos from the album.

This is a nearby tree that was blown over in the June 2012 windstorm.  Here I trimmed most of the branches to use a fuel for the fire.



Fire start.  I tried not to have an large initial fire since I had trees nearby.  In the album you'll see a photo the next day of the heat damaged leaves of a nearby tree.


At times the fire produced lots of embers from the dry tree branches.  The grass was pretty green so it did not catch on fire.



The next day.  The stump did not burn completely.  So Tammy and I had to do another burn to eliminate the stump.   That blog post will be coming soon.



Here is a 2 minute 4 second video of different parts of the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCbOXg20Yj8

No comments: