Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Momma is home

Monday I went and got Momma and brought her home.  She had been away for 44 days and should have gone through at least two cycles of being in heat.   Chad said he saw the bull "with" Momma the other day.  Now the countdown begins to April to see if Momma gives birth.

Chad and Christine had Momma in a pen separated from the herd when I arrived.  Momma was not happy about that.  Momma ran around and around and at one point Chad had to jump up on the fence to get out of Momma's way.

Once I let Momma out of the stock trailer into the corral she quickly zeroed in on the cattle halfway down the hayfield taking a siesta in the shade.  After a little running around the corral and mooing Momma remembered that she needed to briefly go away from the herd and around the barn to reach the gate to the hayfield and the herd.



She ran mooing to the herd.  Once she reached the herd she continued to run along the fence with the herd now running and following and all excited.  After a short time they settled down to grazing while I washed out the stock trailer.

Later when the herd was near the yard Tammy took an apple out to Momma.  But Momma was still leery and hung back behind the other cattle who were clamoring for the apple.

The pasture where Momma spent the last 44 days was mostly dry. I didn't see any green.  Momma always looked a little thin and she certainly does now.  My pasture and hayfield are drying up but at least I still have green grass.

When Tammy was trying to give Momma an apple Baby ignored Momma as Baby loves apples.  Later in the evening I saw Baby sucking Momma in the hayfield.  I wondered if Baby would have gotten over that during the past 44 days.  I guess not.

No comments: