Saturday, August 10, 2013

KM Ranch auction

I went to a ranch auction today.   They advertised lots of farm and ranch stuff.  I don't "need" any more gates but if the price is right I'll buy some and figure out where to place them.  The same with posts, etc.  I could use a few more panels if the price is right.

The ranch location:



This auction was mostly a waste of a day as I got nothing.  They only thing I learned was that some people have more money than brains.  Lots of stuff sold for high prices.

In the following photo from left to right:
  • The older John Deere tractor with a cab, loader and backhoe and an oil leak sold for $9250.
  • The pasture harrow sold for $550
  • The yellow brush hog sold for $600
  • The two blades on top of the brush hog sold for $75
  • The sickle mower sold for $750.  Incredibly high.  The bidder didn't even wait for the auctioneer to work much down from his always high starting bid.  The bidder didn't seem to be working with a full deck.  The explanation for the guy sitting on the mower and shielding his face - maybe he is in the witness protection program?  



See the four livestock feeders in the background.  The third from the left sold for $275.  Another guy bought the rest for $200 each.  Including the smaller one on the left which should have sold for $100 at most.  The two feeders in the middle are the same brand and model as my feeder.  I paid $200 for my feeder a few years ago.



Selling some tools and miscellaneous.  I bid on four partial rolls of roofing felt and a square of shingles.  I just wanted the rolls of felt.  The other guy was wavering in his bid but he got it for $30 when I wouldn't bid $35.  I haven't priced felt recently but I think I can get two new rolls for $35.



They sold some panels for crazy prices.  A really nice set for a 100 ft round pen sold for $1550!   A beat up rusty set of the HW brand of round panels for another 100 ft pen with extra 4 ft section with gate sold for $850.   A new 10 ft panel section sells for $85 new when not on sale.  To pay almost new price for old rusty panels is strange.

The gates were HiQual - very nice heavy duty gates.  Used but looked new. They were 5 rail gates.   The three 16 ft gates sold for $275 each!  The eight that remained were taken by the winning bidder for $200 each.  They included two 14 ft, a 12 ft, a 10 ft and four 6 ft gates.  $200 for a 6 ft gate is insane.


Items in the following photo:
  • (very left) large old wagon wheel in very good condition sold for $165
  • The mounted black bear sold for $1400
  • The dark bearskin rug sold for $1100
  • The elk mounts sold for $25 each
  • The two large speakers sold for $5
  • The two large paintings of the black and white horse sold for $50 and $35 respectively.  Earlier I spoke with the wife holding the auction and she said she had thoughts of tossing on her burn pile the two paintings of her horses but the auctioneer convinced her to sell them.
  • the blue arrow shows the item I waited over an hour for: a tin rooster

A close up of the rooster.  My uncle Curt and Aunt Cathy collect roosters and this seemed ideal for their backyard patio.  So I waited to buy it.


The auctioneer placed the rooster with two other items: a old kettle and an old bucket.  The winning bidder got to choose items for $45 and I hoped he would go for the old bucket.  He got the bucket but also took the rooster.  Dang.  Out bid again.  Maybe the rooster was worth the $50 it might have taken for me to win the bid.  Tammy wasn't along with her cell phone so I couldn't text a photo to Curt and ask him what the rooster was worth.

Here the auctioneer is leaning forward blocking the view of the rooster while asking the winning bidder what items he wanted.  The kettle and bucket can be partially seen.



So I came home empty handed after almost four hours.  I arrived an hour and a half late and left an hour or more before the auction was over.

When I got home I found Daisy laying in the sink.   Here she is getting up to go outside now that I was home to let her outside.


No comments: