Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Pre-trip cattle pasture check

Before I left for North Dakota I checked on the cattle in the south pasture.  They were down in the low area among the trees mostly laying in the tall grass.  I decided to let them be.  But some of them saw me and when I went back up to the higher ground half of them wandered out to see what I was doing.  As most of them milled around me a few more, then a few more, until eventually all the cattle were out of the trees and checking me out.  Of course my two flighty steers kept their distance.

I noticed that since Baby got her ear tagged and is out in the pasture she doesn't come up to me like she did when she was in the corral over Winter.  I guess she no longer needs me to stick up for her against the other cattle when she ate hay.  Other cattle are now more likely to come sniff and lick my clothes and shoes.

Photos of Baby...




Momma seems to be at that time of the month.  Either she was trying to ride a steer or a steer was riding her.  Otherwise she was pushing other cattle around.



As you can see both Baby and (especially) Momma got rid of their Winter fur already as they look nice and sleek.

Eventually the cattle got bored and wandered off to eat.  They have plenty of green grass so - cross my fingers - the cattle will behave and stay in the pasture while I am in North Dakota.

No comments: