Saturday, June 29, 2013

Garden failure

This happened before I went to North Dakota.  I don't want you to think I tried to plant a garden this late in the year!

I planned on having a garden this year.  I hadn't had a garden for several years now and the grass grew in the old garden spot.  After I used Bob and Jan's rototiller to dig their garden I came down to dig my garden.

For the past month I had laid plastic and tarps over the spot where I was going to have a garden.


When it came time to remove them to dig the garden I found the black plastic killed the grass while the blue tarps did not.  Unfortunately I had more blue tarps than black plastic.


I mowed the grass then started to rototill.  The grass roots were dense and the ground was harder than I expected.  After a number of passes to break up the ground I looked down and saw lots and lots of grass roots.


 Healthy looking grass roots.


Very healthy looking grass roots.  Too healthy looking.  I lost my strawberry garden because I couldn't keep the grass roots out.   So I threw in the towel and quit roto-tilling.  I will have to find a way this Summer to kill the grass and its roots.  Then next year I will have a garden.

Once I quit roto-tilling the garden Daisy came and played in the freshly dug dirt.  Follow this link to her blog to see her in action.

http://tallpinescat.blogspot.com/2013/06/in-garden.html

No comments: