Saturday, June 15, 2013

Garage Sale: Day 1

The garage sale went well though it was not as busy as I expected.   In prior years people were outside before the time we opened the doors.  Not this time.  A few people started to arrive at 9 am, the time the ad said the sale started.   Only a few times was it crowded and chaotic.   Otherwise a slow and relatively steady number of people came.  Some people I asked in the afternoon said they hadn't seen many people out at other garage sales.  The newspaper had 33 sales listed for Saturday plus one estate auction.  I think a dozen vehicles did a slow drive-by without stopping.  This was unfortunate as most people who did visit found at least one item to buy.

There is more stuff for sale than can be seen from the street


For the first time ever at a garage sale or flea market I am out of comic books to sell.  One of the first buyers offered me a certain number of dollars for all the comics I had for sale, and after some negotiation for a higher price to which he agreed, I sold the two big boxes of comics I had for sale.  I did have one other guy an hour or two later asking about comic books, but I think that if I had not made a deal to sell all the comics I still would have some left to sell.

Later I made another deal to sell a box of heavy stuff at a 'take it all' price.  That is good as the goal is to get rid of stuff and reduce the amount of stuff to carry back up in the garage attic for another sale.  Since I hadn't gotten all the stuff out to sell, even with one more day for the sale, it looks like there will be another North Dakota garage sale in my future. Hopefully it won't take another two and a half years to have the next sale.


No comments: