Thursday, June 20, 2013

Broken water pipe

Over Winter a water pipe at my brother's place froze and split.  This water line runs under the front deck.


There is a valve to drain the pipe.  A few years ago my brother forgot to drain the pipe and it split.  It was a big plumber's bill to fix it.

My brother said he drained the pipe this last Winter.  He suspects the pipe was low in one corner and apparently the water did not completely drain.

We have a pipe cutter tool...

and we bought a click-in joint at Menards.

Wednesday I cut the pipe and put the pipe back together with the click-in joint.  The pipe ran through holes in the deck floor's studs. I cut several holes larger in order to bend the pipe so the joint fit together in a straight manner.  The blue pex pipe was how the plumber fixed the previous problem.  The white piece is the connector joint I used.



We turned the water on and found that there was a second hole in the pipe under part of the deck my brother did not remove.  When originally investigating the leak my brother did not check for more than one leak.

We removed more deck boards.  This was difficult because most of the screws would strip and not screw out.  I had to carefully pry each board off the deck frame.

I cut the second split out of the pipe.  Then back to Menards for another joint connector.  I clicked it on the pipes, put a brick under the corner to keep the pipe high for draining, and we were done.


No comments: