Thursday, June 13, 2013

Last minute stuff explanation

Regarding my previous post as to why I waited until the last minute to do the stuff with the horses and cattle...

I didn't do the cattle/horse work because I did not want the cattle to have access to the middle pasture until the last possible minute.  I try to rotate the cattle between fields every 5-6 days and we will be gone longer than that. 

The horses only just arrived two days before we left. Therefore the yard is way overgrown. Usually I put the horses in the north pasture last but because we will be gone for for more than six days I had to do it now as, with access to the river, they have a second source of water other than the water trough in the corral.  Therefore I wanted the horses to eat the back yard for as long as possible before leaving to knock some of the tall grass down.  I don't know why they acted that way but the horses ate grass growing in the corral during the day and then in the yard at night.

So unfortunately I had to wait until the last minute to do the horse/cattle stuff.

No comments: