Monday, November 22, 2010

Wind and cold

Looks like the weather predictions are right - this is going to be a bad winter here.  It blew and stormed all day, and now at 11 pm a blizzard warning went into effect until 11 pm tomorrow.  We had single digit temperatures all day and the predicted low tonight is minus 10.

Needless to say I spent 99% of the day inside.  I was only outside to get more firewood and also to throw snow against the bottom of the barn door so the snow won't (will stop) blowing inside the barn.

I've had the wood stove going all day once I got it started after cleaning the ashes from it.  From a low of 46 degrees I got it up to 70 inside the house by evening.  Even then, from the sight of blowing snow, the sound of the wind howling outside, and the feeling that the wind was driving the cold through the house's walls, the only time I truly felt warm was hanging around the wood stove itself.

November 22.  Yup.  Yup.  Global warming.  Yup. Tell me another story.  You have the Brooklyn Bridge for sale also?

Sunday, before the wind picked up, the guy who lent me a metal round bale feeder came to get it as he needed it.  Dang.  I was hoping he wouldn't need it and would sell it to me.

Last evening shortly after dark a deer settled down for a rest near the house and just across the fence in the hayfield.  It was there for a while.

Tonight Kelly came to hunt. He lasted an hour, and I was impressed he lasted that long.

It is brutal out there.  Not much traffic goes by on the road.  No surprise.

No comments: