Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

I hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving holiday. Here it looked more like Christmas than Thanksgiving. Today it snowed lightly all day and the roads were snow covered.  We got two more inches of snow today.

I drove to Peter and Edwina's house to have a thanksgiving meal with them and other friends of theirs. Peter and Edwina live up the North Fork road (though still on the paved section).  The snow was slippery enough that I drove no faster than 50 mph on the 70 mph road.  I ended up with a couple vehicles behind me which made it difficult to drive slower when I was near the road I needed that that turned off the North Fork road.  I "missed" the road as I couldn't stop or slow in time to make the turn.  Once I pulled over and stopped I had to back up a distance in order to get some speed as once I turned of the North Fork road I had to drive up a steep hill.  Even though my front wheel drive car is not a four-wheel drive vehicle, I made it up the hill.  I think it was due to my snow driving ability and confidence.  Go! Go!  Go!

On the walls of their house was a bear skin of the first black bear Edwina had shot.  She also has a moose hide and three bear skulls, along with set of large elk antlers and a deer and a bighorn sheep head.  Edwina likes to hunt.  The remainder of a deer carcass was outside for the neighborhood dogs to have their own Thanksgiving meal.

It was a nice meal and a nice conversation.  One neighbor now has running water after many years as he had a three to four hundred foot well drilled this past Spring.  One of his sources of water in the past was a pipe a few miles down the road.  A pipe is stuck into the side of the mountain and water steadily flows out of it year round.

After I got home Edwina called to say the power went out in their neighborhood.  It was a good thing this happened after the meal was over and the company gone.

No comments: