Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fence twine

How did my dad dispose of hay bale twine?   By wrapping it on his fences.

While the twine patches/supports/fixes the fences, I found that cattle often would chew on the twine.  Besides being not nutritious, it can be deadly sometimes.  Dan knew of someone who lost one of his cattle after it swallowed a twine string and it got stuck inside.   The people who pasture their horses here told me yesterday they had a horse who slowly passed a string of twine.  The horse was ok, but it had the twine sticking out of its butt for a while until it was completely passed.  I've never had ill cattle from eating twine, but I have found a number of chewed up balls of twine after they had spit them out.

So... over the years I've been removing the twine from fences I rebuild or patch or just look twice at.  The loading corral had lots of baling twine and I've been removing the twine as I rebuilt each part of the corral.  Today I removed the last of the twine on the north side as it looks like I will be able to finish most of the north side fence rebuild over the next few days.

No comments: