Sunday, November 28, 2010

Oh yeah... the gate

I forgot to mention that I had replaced one of my corral's gates before winter arrived and the snow came.

I had finished work on the north side of the corral and still had a few hours left so I decided to replace one of my light metal gates with a light metal tube gate.  This took longer than I expected as the two gates do not have the same distance between their hinge points.  I had to drill a new hole in the post for the top hinge of the new gate.

This a temporary change as eventually I want to replace the 12 ft gate with a 14 ft gate.  And a gate with thicker tubing.

The newer gate is an improvement as the old gate would flex outward when livestock pushed against the bottom in order to reach the grass in the yard.  I thought that one day the gate could break. That was the purpose of the tree stump near the gate.  The metal tube gate doesn't seem to flex when I try it - though the real test is when livestock push against it.


It was dark by the time I hung the gate so I still have finishing work to do on the gate.  The next day - as seen in the photo - it snowed.  For now the gate works.

The new gate has taken me a bit to get used to.  After dark I could still see the prior white gate.  Now in the dark I can't look in that direction to see if the gate is closed as the new gate blends in.

No comments: