Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Two horses

I have horses on the ranch.   As you know I didn't buy any cattle this year, and my usual renter is cutting back on cattle this year as he has other plans, so I have an open pasture.  One of my other cattle renter prospects already had pasture but he knew of an older couple looking for horse pasture for the summer.

They (she mainly) raises horses and sells them worldwide.  They were looking for extra pasture.  After looking the pasture over they decided to put a few of their horses at my place for the summer.

Being horse people they had concerns that I have barb wire fences.  There is nothing I can do about that.  Since the horses have lots of acres to roam there should not be any problems with getting cut by barb wire fences.

They brought two of their older horses to the ranch this afternoon. One is 19 and the other is 26.  Very gentle horses.  I was pleased she didn't bring her $10,000 horses as that is too much money to be walking around the pasture.

The horses have fancy names which I've since forgotten.  They are long names.

For now I am keeping the horses in the corral while they get accustomed to their new summer home.  I want them to bond with the barn and loafing shed before letting them out into another pasture.

The couple plans to bring another two or three horses this weekend.

This older couple is interesting.  He has an identical first name as me, which is not a common name.  We get a small kick out of addressing each other by our name.  He also abbreviates his name the same way as I do, which also is uncommon.

She is into flowers, etc.  As we walked the pasture she commented on the wildflowers growing about.  She and I also had an interesting conversation on how both an animal's and a person's head and neck can tell you traits and personality about a person.  For example, the shape and size on a person's nose, the shape of their face, their lips, their eyebrow locations, and so forth.  Based on my features she described some traits she thought I possessed.  I was a bit amazed how her descriptions match up to how I perceive myself.

When it rains, it pours.  After this couple and I came to an agreement another woman called me out of the blue looking for pasture for her three horses.  Horse people do not like their horses to mix with other people's horses.  While I have enough  room to separate the horses into different pastures, I decided I didn't want that hassle right now, especially since I will be working more on the census.

Also, Jim and Debbie have their grand-kid's two horses back in their pasture as of late this afternoon.   The horses had been gone for a number of weeks now.  Those horses were in an agitated state as they were running around their pasture for some time. 

Here are my new tenants.  As you can see they have plenty of grass.


No comments: