Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mosquitos and tree transplant

The rained stopped on Friday.  Yay!  By mid afternoon the sun came out.  Even better!

When I was checking my gopher traps (one dead, two other traps filled with dirt) I spotted someone walking in my south pasture along the fence. Hey!!!   It turned out to be a county worker for mosquito control.  He was going over to spray the low wet area in the SW part of the pasture.  He said their check indicated mosquito larvae that will hatch soon.

By all means spray!  With all the rain this year it may be a bad year for mosquitoes once it warms up.

I mentioned the low land on Jim and Debbie's property to the north that has water now that the river is high and he said he had checked it and the larvae is not ready there yet.  Maybe in a week or two.

Due to the recent rain the river is rising.  Prior to the rain the river flow was just above 700 CPS.  Now it is 768 CFS.  The river does look higher.  The tree stump is still moving, although at a slower pace.

While in the north pasture I dug a few very small trees growing there.  There is a clump of them growing much too close together.  Since these are so small perhaps I can transplant them to my NE pasture along the fence.  It would be nice to get a line of them growing to screen out my neighbors.  It will take many years as the trees are tiny.

Photo 1: five trees in a wheelbarrow.
Photo 2: one tree planted

No comments: