Thursday, June 24, 2010

Car door window switch

The driver's window in my car door quit working earlier this Spring.   I couldn't open my driver's door window.  Later I could open the other doors' windows but could not close them from the master switch.  Fortunately I could close them using each door's switch.  Not too convenient.

I discovered the problem was with the master switch.


The switch is in the middle of the photo. The left and right images are the switch's connectors at each end.

Searching www.carpart.com I found the part cost $248.56 new.   Umm... time to check a junkyard.

I went to the junkyard I usually use for parts to my car.  A worker lent me a Philips screwdriver and I went out to the Nissan Maxima they had.  The switch was gone from the car.  Darn!

I went to another junkyard.  The owner said he had one Maxima, the part would cost me $45, and that I had to wait until 12:30 pm when his workers returned from lunch for them go get the part from the car.  When the worker checked the car he found the switch was gone.

Darn!  Strike two.

At my last junkyard I found a Maxima with the switch.  I took the switch and planned to also take the window motor in case that ever failed.  With scrap metal prices rising it is harder to find cars older than 1990, and that year is rising due to the rising scrap metal prices as junkyards are less likely to keep older cars these days.   However getting the window motor out of the door was a major undertaking and not one I wanted to do for a part I didn't need now.  The switch from this junkyard cost me $15.

Tuesday the 22nd I put the "new" switch in my car and it works.  I can open all my windows now.

No comments: