Saturday, June 26, 2010

Another tree stump

I finished digging out another tree stump today. Last week I had discovered this stump barely sticking out of the ground in the north pasture.  I think I uncovered it when I drug the harrow around the pasture this past Spring.

Today I finished digging around the stump.  As the stump was more like a "tooth with about four roots" I used an ax to chop some of the roots so I could wrestle broken pieces from the ground.

I got a work out and am feeling the effects tonight as I type this.

This is the seventh stump I have dug and cut out this year.
 
In the future I need to find a way to take a photo of the hole in a way that captures its size and depth.  Also, the stump always seems to look smaller when cut into pieces.



Even though this stump has been dead and buried for many many years - more likely many decades - when I chopped through one root, liquid poured out from it.

Here are photos of the insides of part of the stump. Both the yellow and white stuff was gooey.  Keep in mind this stump has been dead for at least over a decade. Probably a number of decades.  The insides were still moist.  No wonder some of these the stumps don't rot and are hard to burn.

The lighter colored wood (upper center) is part of what I chopped with the ax.

No comments: