Monday, April 27, 2009

Snow and soft ground

I woke up to snow this morning. The grass was white and the roads were wet. The snow did melt within an hour or so though flurries briefly made an appearance later in the morning. Today was a cold dreary day. And the wind blew creating a chill. The rest I could have taken but the wind was no fun.

At least I didn't get as much snow as Peter and Edwina in their part of the Valley.


The forecast for tonight and tomorrow is for a lot of snow in the mountains and Glacier Park.

I ran an errand uptown, this time driving my pickup. Today was not a day to bicycle. I visited Bob and Jan and their cat and new puppy. The puppy is growing great guns and was excited to be outside and to get attention from me. So excited that she peed on the sidewalk all around my shoe as I pet and rubbed her. At least I didn't notice anything wet on my shoe.

I did go and check my gopher traps late this afternoon. Another two gophers and one pocket gopher caught. An empty trap was sprung in the new 'village' area and all the holes I had closed there were reopened. Maybe tomorrow I'll get that gopher.

I dug around two more tree stumps. Notice I did not say "out" as the stumps has some big roots going deep. I dug deep and if the stumps burn down to where I dug that will be deep enough. One stump was a 'shark fin' as that was all that stuck several inches above the ground. That was about 1% of the tree stump.

I realized that now is the time to dig. The ground is moist and soft but come Summer the ground dries and gets hard. So probably I should spend more time digging and worry about burning the stumps later.

No comments: