Saturday, February 14, 2009

Friday the 13th

Yup. It happened yesterday. Friday the 13th.

My brother's computer quit and I had no access to it all day. The computer wouldn't boot up because of a missing or corrupted file. The error message said to use the original CD-Rom to fix the error. The computer wouldn't use the CD-Rom.

I was on the phone to Microsoft. Or I should say Microsoft India as at times I had to ask the person to repeat words. I don't remember his name but at least he didn't come up with a fake American name.

He must have been new as he was starting from the basics even though I explained I had tried them and they failed. As time went on he spent more and more time taking a break and consulting with colleague's on things to try. Eventually we came to the belief it was a hardware problem. My brother's computer is pretty old.

Well... this morning the computer now works. So either it is a hardware problem or the Friday the 13th curse is real.

I am glad it is working (and I quickly made a fresh backup of my files). Last night I felt lost at my inability to check my email and surf the web. I was pretty bummed out about it. But today is a better day.

No comments: