Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Trivia night

Monday night I attended trivia night at the Landing Bar. I didn't attend last Monday night due to the bad winter weather. According to the host, Ed, last Monday only one regular team was there and just a few other people.

Darrel, Mona, Jeff and Donna were the only members of my team there. Lots of other people were there also and our team didn't have a table near the front like usual. It was good to see everyone again.

We didn't win. For the first contest we had 15 correct and the winning team had 18 correct. For the second contest we had 15 correct again and the team that won (as the team that won the first contest could not win again) had 16 right. If we only had said "Venus" as to the hottest planet instead of our answer as Mercury! You'd think the closet planet to the sun would be the warmest wouldn't you?

Mona did win the final "quarters" question and won over $14 in change. She found a few nickels in the pot put there by people too cheap to pay a quarter for a wrong answer. Mona guessed correctly that 720 peanuts are needed to make a pound of peanut butter.

I stayed after trivia was over to chat. Karaoke also started. Most all the singers were good with a few being pretty good. One guy sang everything from pop to country to rap and was surprisingly good at all. A few singers were good enough that some couples even danced to their singing. A few times two people sang duets. The odd thing was that the later it got the better the singers were - and it wasn't because of my drinking as I only had one drink the entire night.

Curt showed up after trivia was over. Apparently since I was here last there was a disagreement between Curt and Ed at one of the other bars around town that hold trivia contests and now Curt doesn't come to trivia anymore.

Curt is a decent singer and he likes to change the lyrics to a few songs to make them x-rated funny. To let the woman running the karaoke machine know of his intent Curt would mention he was having trouble reading the monitor and she would joke back to him about his having to wing it. Curt sang two songs over the night with risqué lyrics and I noticed several women at the end of the bar whooped it up enjoying those songs and lyrics.

Curt, 52, now has a 21 year old girlfriend so life is good for him. For part of the night they sat at our table. She seems nice but between my tinnitus, the loud karaoke music, her fast talking and high voice I couldn't understand half of what she said. That is also why I have no idea as to what her name is.

A woman at another table - a so-so singer - had plenty to drink and by the time she left that night she needed the help of the two men she was with in order to stand and walk out of the bar. She had plenty of energy earlier and even had danced to a few songs.

Darell, Mona, and I left around 12:45 am. This time I accepted their offer of a ride home as I found during my walk to the bar that for a third of the distance I had to walk on the streets as the sidewalks were buried under snow.

Darrel, Mona, Curt and others get together occasionally to have a meal and play Cranium. They have a get together planned for this Saturday but I will be back in Montana and will miss it.

No comments: