Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Winter is here

Winter has made its grand arrival. Bring back global warming - please!

No more working around the weather conditions to find outside projects to work on. The only thing I have done outside Sunday and Monday was shovel snow. It appears we didn't get too much snow. I don't know how much as the usual web sites that lists precip is silent on the snowfall. They may have had the same problem as me - with the wind that accompanied winter's arrival blowing the snow here and there eliminating any chance to estimate the number of inches of snow.

My shoveling took part of two days due to the temperatures. Below zero. And the wind was still blowing on Sunday. I used muscles I hadn't used in a while but I'll live.

On the bright side it has been sunny the past two days once the cold front passed. It is nice to see blue skies, sun and the white mountains.


I still get slightly surprised when I step outside at how cold it is. That is because I have a fire going all day in my wood stove and it is plenty warm in the house. Last night I actually felt too warm and felt stuffy as the temperature inside was near 74 F. I like it on the cooler side.

My mornings are cool as I don't feed the fire overnight. I may like it cooler inside but waking up to 49 F is a bit too cool. One of these days I need to light the pilot light on my gas furnace I use as a backup.

I have been using more firewood. The pile of wood I had laid outside the house door Friday normally would last three or so days and I went through the pile in a little over a day.

I also seem to be fighting a cold. Some times I feel like I am getting a cold, then other times I have no effects, then later I feel again I am coming down with a cold. Part of it may be my forced inactivity. I do have a number of fond memories growing up in North Dakota and doing nothing but read books for days on end while storms or cold weather raged outside. I need to get into that 'zone' now, though there are more distractions these days what with the internet, DVDs, and more TV channels. I may have no choice as the forecast for both the short and long term is for this winter to be tougher than normal.

December 2008

16th-19th Wet for Rocky Mountain States and Plains, followed by clearing.
20th-23rd Fair weather is quickly replaced by squally weather over the Rockies.
24th-27th Heavy snow (a foot or more) for the Plains for the Christmas season.
28th-31st Fair, then unsettled weather. Some snow for the Rockies.

January looks to be more of the same.


Lastly, I took a photo of my garage today. Just because I liked the looks of the willow tree's shadow on it and the snow.

No comments: