Sunday, December 28, 2008

Slip sliding

And it continues to snow. I cleaned part of the driveway around noon. I was clearing snow near the road when I thought a car passing the driveway cut the corner a little closer to me that she needed to. Then a short distance down the road she slipped into the ditch on my side of the road. (Karma ) The road hadn't been snowplowed and in anticipation of two approaching pickups she apparently drove even closer to the side of the road. The pickups stopped, and being four wheel drives, one of them pulled her Honda Accord out of the ditch.

I have more snow to clear tomorrow or whenever it stops snowing. (Next year sometime?)

This morning the library called to tell me a couple DVDs I had put on hold had arrived. I had nothing better to do than drive uptown during heavy snow and on unplowed roads. None of the roads had been plowed and we have had a number of inches of snow. That made driving challenging and a little fun.

At the first stoplight the speed limit was 45 mph and I was driving 35. The light changed quickly and even though I pumped the car's brakes in an effort to stop I ended up sliding and stopping in the middle of the intersection due to the slippery road. Or I should say 'almost stopped' as once I realized I would end up in the middle of the intersection I drove through so as not to block the intersection. The cars on each side of the intersection had waited. I had no other problems with any other lights or intersections.

No comments: