Friday, December 19, 2008

Here we go again

Another winter storm moved in last night and is spending more time here than the last winter storm. That means more snow. Lots more snow. I was surprised when I woke up to find snowdrifts all over. I've since heard we have had 10 to 13 inches so far and it is not done snowing.

Not expecting the wind and the snow to arrive like it did I had left my bunkhouse door open. First thing in the morning I bounded through the snow to sweep the snow out of the doorway and then close the door.

As the forecast is for the temperature to drop like a rock below zero F once the storm leaves I decided to shovel some snow today. Besides there is so much snow I can't shovel it all in one day. And it will be easier to shovel before it settles and the temperature gets colder which will also make it harder.

Before shoveling the snow I had to get the mail and some firewood. I buckled up some tall rubber overshoes but I found the snow went over the top of them as I bounded through the snowdrifts. (Note to myself: buy some snowshoes) I had wet shoes, socks and feet to dry out by the wood stove once I was done getting the firewood and mail.

I shoveled snow all afternoon. Over 3 and 1/2 hours. Thankfully the snow was very dry and therefore lighter than usual. Still, there was so much of the snow that it got tiring to move it by the time I quit for the day. And by the time I quit the wind had picked from a light breeze to a strong wind and that was blowing the snow around and also making me colder. Who knows... by the time I get up tomorrow the wind may have filled in the areas I had cleared today. Ah.. winter.

I cleared the area by the house and garage and some to the tool shed. I have the long driveway left to clear tomorrow.

I saw a county snowplow drive by again today. Again the driver drove slow so as not to knock down all the mailboxes along the road. With all the snow if he drove his normal speed the snow pushed would have flown up and trashed my mailbox.

That wind is really howling now. It is psychologically and a little physically making me feel cold. I keep feeding the wood stove in order to keep the temperature in the house near 70 F but every so often I linger by the wood stove to shake a chill from my body.

My replenished stack of firewood outside the house door.


Before and after I cleared some snow. See my tracks?






No comments: