Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Not too late to spray

A beautiful day today. I decided to spray weeds. If you remember the last time I sprayed it briefly rained lightly right afterwards. Today looking at what I had sprayed then, the herbicide appeared to have taken as most weeds were wilting. I do add a "sticker" agent to the herbicide to help the herbicide stick to the weed. It seems to work.

Today I sprayed the NE pasture and part of the north pasture. These are areas I have sprayed and resprayed this summer. I didn't quite cover the entire north pasture area that I had sprayed before, but I managed to cover most of it.

Some grass is greening up so that made spotting weeds a little harder than during the last few months. Still, I found a number of new weeds and a few I had missed before. By the time the second batch of herbicide ran out I was ready to quit. The 42 lbs the herbicide and tank weigh was making my shoulders sore. It is not all the herbicide's fault as I already was slightly stiff and sore from the previous few days of work.

The morning and early afternoon was sunny. A prefect Fall day. By the time I finished spraying the sky had clouded over in advance of a minor cold front that arrived this evening. At least it didn't start raining after I sprayed today.

I caught 4 pocket gophers today as they are again active. That makes 155 for the year so far. I am now beyond where I stopped trapping last year. With good weather I may be able to cover the entire hayfield this year. But we'll see.

Late afternoon I visited Tony. He had put up a white vinyl fence and is giving me his old fence - wood and steel posts and barb wire. Actually only the top wire is barbed, the other three wires are smooth. Horses, you know. We plan to pull the posts tomorrow using his tractor. Today I worked on taking the wires off the posts. Almost three hours later I was still not finished and had to quit as it was starting to get dark. The sun sets by 7 pm now. I don't have too many posts left to do and can do them tomorrow morning.

No comments: