Monday, October 15, 2007

Squeezing in chores on a beautiful day

Days like this seem like they will last forever - or at least that is what one hopes will happen. The big bad weather forecasters are saying otherwise. Boo Hoo!

I tried to stay on task today and get all I planned to do done before the bad weather arrives tomorrow. Nope, I didn't get all I wanted done, done. Something to do with stopping to smell the roses and taking time to talk with friends. And being overly ambitious in my goals.

In the morning I stacked away the logs I had split the night before. Better to have them stacked and dry than laying in the yard getting rained on. I then got rid of some rocks I had. In doing so I also picked up the rocks tossed over my fence line when the dirt race track was created next door. I guess they were trying to toss the rocks out of the way and they rolled across my fence line. I got a request from my cousin for photos of the track and the little race cars. Noted, and I will try to get photos when they next are running around the track.

Then it was off to Tony's place to pull the last of the fence posts. Again I forgot to bring my camera along! Even though I had dug around all the remaining five posts a few were still hard for his tractor to pull out. After pulling the posts I showed Tony how to use the pocket gopher trap I had given him. I found a pocket gopher tunnel and set the trap. Something else I learned is that pocket gophers apparently do not like something about horses. Horse urine perhaps? The pasture south of my hayfield had pocket gophers previously, but now after the horses have been there since last year the pockets gophers disappeared (to my hayfield no doubt!). Tony only has pocket gophers on his property outside of his horse pastures.

After putting the posts away I drove over to Bill's place to get pieces of fencing he gave me. Naturally I can always use fencing.

With both Tony and then Bill and Marilyn I took time to chat with them.

I didn't get home till 5 pm. After checking my pocket gopher traps I sprayed a tank of herbicide on weeds. Now is the time to do it before it rains. The herbicide is really working now as the weeds are wilting and browning much faster now than during the height of summer.

Joyce called and wanted to go on a hike tomorrow. You know me... I never can turn down a woman who wants to hike. The forecast is for rain the rest of the week and weekend so this may be our last hike for a week. Part of my day and evening was spent nailing down where to hike, who will go, and talking with the Forest Service and the Glacier Park employees as to whether snow covers Loneman Mountain. At one point we were going to hike Loneman Mountain but after the 10 pm weather forecast decided the weather is too iffy tomorrow. Rain is suppose to arrive tomorrow afternoon or evening. Exactly when.. no idea. We still want to hike so I came up with returning to Elk Mountain, this time using the shorter route we saw a sign for during our last hike. Another interesting thing about the hike is this is the area of this summer's large Brush Creek Fire. It will be interesting to see what has burned. As of 10:45 pm tonight all will hike, though tomorrow morning's weather may change some people's minds. We'll see.

Better to get to bed so I can get some sleep before the hike.

No comments: