Thursday, October 18, 2007

Deer and sunflowers

The deer have been at my sunflowers again. This afternoon I discovered they tore down another sunflower and ate it. I had a sunflower plant with two heads and one of the branches was torn off the stalk and the head completely eaten. The second head had a bite out of it. I took this head off and brought it to the house to dry.

Of the remaining two sunflower plants, one was small with no edible seeds, and the other one had all its seeds eaten. I guess the birds got to that one. I put some tall sticks/branches around the small sunflower head as I do like looking at it. Hopefully the sticks will keep the deer from destroying that head.

The deer also have been nibbling on my parsnip and carrot tops but apparently they don't like them as all I see are a few nibbles. If they liked them they would be all gone.

Darn deer!

Photo 1 shows the two-headed sunflower plant before the deer destroyed it.
Photo 2 is the small sunflower.
Photo 3 shows my carrots and corn.

The blue tarp is covering my tomato plants.

No comments: