Monday, October 29, 2007

Sunday, Sunday

Sunday I...
  • baked an apple pie
  • called my mom. She is not doing as well recently as her former congestive heart failure is acting up. The doctor did tests, changed her meds, and ordered a home option nurse to visit her three times a week. She also got a hospital bed where she can sleep partially sitting up as she has trouble laying down and sleeping.
  • checked for pocket gophers. I caught two and found two more traps buried in dirt covered by wary gophers. I also found that I had missed some pocket gophers as I advanced my line of traps south through the hayfield. Yesterday I moved a trap back and today caught a gopher. Today I moved two more traps back to what appears to be fresh dirt mounds.
  • raked the leaves from the yard. Other years I had left them where they fell but I found they are an annoyance when shoveling snow. I dumped many wheelbarrow loads of leaves on my garden.
  • I tossed my tomatoes and tomato plants. The cold nights the past few days got to my tomatoes as they are looking bad. I uprooted all the plants, loaded them and the tomatoes into a wheelbarrow and took them out to the middle of the hayfield. The deer can eat them out there. While doing so I found another fresh pocket gopher mound. I still have broccoli and cabbage plants to cover.
  • split some logs. I was going to go for a bicycle ride in the evening but found my tire was flat. Last week I had gotten a rim pinch somehow - I don't remember hitting anything hard with my wheel. The patch went bad today. Instead of a bicycle ride I decided to take my frustration out on some logs. I split until it was dark. I'll stack the split logs tomorrow.
  • I talked with Don about Mount Thoma. When he was at his cabin up the North Fork this weekend he saw snow high up on the mountain. If he can see snow from the North Fork road then there must be at least six inches to a foot of snow up on Mt Thoma. I guess I won't be hiking Mt Thoma this year as my hiking group doesn't care to hike in snow. I have a couple other ideas for mountains we can possibly hike later this week.

No comments: