Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sunny day and Sperry

Our high temperature was 70 degrees today - one degree from tying the record high for the date. A gorgeous day!!! No valley inversions - or at least none remained when I got up after 8 am. Sun, glorious sunshine!

The other day I transplanted my tulip bulbs outside my flower bed. A few years ago when my flower bed was only on the north and south sides of the house, they didn't have enough space for all the bulbs. I found that when I dug up the old bulbs, they had multiplied. Now that I have a flower bed on the west side of the house, and it is Fall, I decided to transplant the bulbs and get them out of the lawn just outside the south flower bed. Again the bulbs had multiplied since I last planted them and I had more than enough bulbs to fill the west flower bed. Actually more bulbs than I wanted as I would like a variety in flowers and not just have tulips.

I also split some logs for firewood yesterday. A number of logs I split but have many more to so.

I spent an hour yesterday in the rainy morning sewing a pair of my jeans. People tease me about my very patched pants, but I really like them. With my patches the jeans are unique.

Now that all the leaves are off the trees today I swept the leaves from the patio and front porch roofs. We don't get the winds that the Dakotas and Minnesota get and some leaves get stuck up there.

Using a sledgehammer - and sometimes my weight - I straightened 7 steel fence posts that were bent. Later I found a few fence posts in my north fence were very loose. Even though I do not have cattle now I decided to fix the posts now instead of waiting till Spring. I imagine I'll have more posts to fix this coming Spring. Fixing these posts now will be less fence work this Spring.

This section of fence has a few wide spaces between posts. While this fence has five strands, I know how some cattle will push against the wires in an effort to reach grass on the other side. Since I got all those metal posts from Tony I used a few of them to "half" the wide spaces between a few posts in this area. Less of a section of wire to stretch. All in all I put in five new posts.

I had some gasoline left in my chainsaw and I used it up cutting part of an old fallen tree in the north pasture. I could have used several more minutes of gas as I had just a bit more to cut.

It would have been a perfect day to spray weeds, but after I checked my pocket gopher trap (four more!) and took a shower, I drove to Whitefish to attend a slide show at the Whitefish branch of the county library. The slide show was on the Sperry Chalet in Glacier Park.

Everyone from the hiking group except Gary and Sue Ann were there. Even the spouses attended. Peter and Edwina also were there. The room was full with people to see the slide show.

The speaker, Beth Dunigan, has been associated with the Sperry Chalet since the Great Northern Railroad sold all their chalets in the park to Glacier Park. That was in 1954. The park hired people to run the chalets and Beth's relatives were hired to run Sperry. Her parents were then hired to help. She was 9 years old and has been involved with Sperry Chalet ever since. 53 years.

The slide show was her photos and memories of working at the chalet, an overview of the chalet inside and out, the surrounding area and animals, and the changes over the years. Very interesting. The event lasted an hour.

Afterward there was a question and answer session. From the chalet you can see the "hole in the mountain", and twice a year you can see the sun through the hole briefly. I asked when and was told August 22. Guess where our hiking group will hike August 22 next year if I have my way?

One can also climb up to the hole though there is no real trail. Beth had a photo of her and friends in the hole. I asked how and she said there was no trail and downplayed climbing there.

I then asked how many people hike from Logan Pass across the Floral Park to Sperry Chalet. She said some, but not too many. She then played up that it is a long hike, 11 hours or so. She mentioned a number of hikers would show up at the chalet after dark very tired and looking for a place to stay. Again she appeared to be discouraging the hike by focusing on the difficulty and that there is no trail. I'm still going to hike it next year.

The chalet, though pretty expensive to stay at, is filled pretty much every night. The chalet is generally open from early July to early September.

The drive to and from Whitefish was beautiful. The fall colors enhanced the drive. The Whitefish Range was straight ahead of me and was a pleasure to view as the evening sun shone on them. I am so lucky to live here. It was dark when I drove home. Along the road I saw some deer. They initially looked like statues, but weren't. Fortunately they remained motionless like statues.

Tomorrow is a hike to Loneman Mountain or Harrison Lake depending on how much snow is on Loneman. With today's warm temperature the snow seems to be disappearing from the tops of the Swan Range. But Loneman is higher and I don't know how much is up there. It may be another adventure tomorrow!

No comments: